Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Buena Moments by Guest Bartenders: CHERISH MORE

Off the Menu: Buena Moments by Guest Bartenders is a series of guest submissions serving up their own good life moments through their own personal story, in hopes of showing how much beauty each of Our Buena Vidas holds. If you would like to submit a story to this series, click here. Today’s post is by Guest Bartender, Marilyn.



Life is an opportunty,
benefit from it.
Life is beauty,
admire it.
(Mother Theresa)

I believe God inbreeds in us our very own distinct personality. Through life, our experiences and environment can then sway our personality...even alter it slightly. Well there is no doubt about the fact that I have a very regimented personality. I like things to be very orderly and predictable. I need to feel as though I have a sense of control over what to expect next.

True to my personality, I had this vacation all planned out. This trip was supposed to be an opportunity for hubby, me and the kids to enjoy quality time with my parents. An opportunity to do the touristy things that tourists do when they come to Orlando. 

And while we are doing those things, like visiting the main theme parks, I can't help but feel like my purpose here has been greater. These days, I've spent some time chatting with a dear friend from childhood, Bestie. As simple as our conversations have been, they have been ultimately fulfilling. The common thread that laces through our chats has been gratitude. "I'm finally enjoying life." Her words resonated with me. She went on about how thankful she is that she recently moved to Florida and how now, more than ever, she values her family and knows she is blessed. 

Like Bestie, these past few days have been much more than visiting theme parks. It's been deeper than spending beautiful moments with my parents. It has been an awareness. An awareness that I too, am truly blessed. Does that happen to all of us maybe? We're so busy living life, feeding, working, cooking, chasing, that we don't have time to see what we have? Cherish what we have? I can't help but compare it to my Daniel, and every other child we rush down the sidewalk, as he stops for the 10th time to smell the same type of yellow weed flower. He wants to value that moment. Cherish it.

In the midst of packing our cooler for tomorrow's trip to Disney, baby Mia was toddling her way across the living room. Her little bare feet were slapping the tile floor beneath her and her messy curls covered her face as she made her way to her destination, the green stuffed frog on the opposite side of the room. As she waddled, I could hear her humming nothingness to the tune of a song that I oftentimes sing to her at night before bed. Her happiness at that moment, as simple as it was, fulfilled me. It was then that I realized I was savoring more and more of these simple joys as the days progressed. 

This vacation has allowed me to stop more. Value more. Cherish more. Be more aware of my blessings. I'm thankful for the extra time I have to think. To be. The basic simplicities in life, the moments that bring me fulfillment, peace, and joy, are so present now they're winking at me. Almost as though they're saying, "Look at me! Look at how fabulous I am. Soak me in!"

It is with this that I will throw up my hands and surrender to the possibilities that await us the rest of our trip. It is with this that I will relish more scrumptious moments of pure simplicities. Simple, happy moments that fulfill my soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a seat and leave your comments on the bar.