Monday, September 2, 2013

I Accept

How exciting!

I've had so many moments in life when things come back around full circle. You could say I'm a big believer in that sort of thing (I could teach a class in Things Happen for a Reason 101.) I believe this to be one of those moments when someone from my past comes back to become a part of my life in a new way.

Megan and I became instant friends when we briefly worked together at Highland Park Middle School. She was the awesome, eclectic, nose-pierced art teacher and I was a bit less awesome than that. We began to hang out (which for teachers means serious happy hours and griping about kids). She introduced me to Apples to Apples. A friendship was born. And then we realized that through a six degrees of Kevin Bacon kind of way, we had other friends in common which would further jell our budding friendship.

I moved on to continue in my teacher training and we remained friends mostly through social media. Then I moved to Santo Domingo. Then came kids. She had one. I had one. I had another. She had another. About a year ago, she started following my blog and I started following hers The Patchwork Paisley. Fast forward. She was nominated by a fellow blogger for a Liebster Award and in turn nominated me for one.
You don't know what a Liebster Award is? It's ok. I didn't know either but who doesn't love being nominated for something? So I did some research and found out that a Liebster is an award for promising newbie bloggers with less than 200 followers. Basically "a great way to connect with other bloggers and spread the word about newer blogs."

I like to be nominated for things.
I am a new blogger with less than 200 followers.
I'd like to spread the word about my blog.
I love awards.

What is there not to like about this situation?

The rules (for my nominees):
1. You must link back to the person that nominated you.
2. You must answer the 11 questions given to you by your nominator.
3. You must pick 11 bloggers, each under 200 subsribers, to be nominated for the award.
4. You must come up with 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
5. You must go to their blogs and notify your nominees.

* Both Megan's questions that I will be answering and the questions that I am asking my nominees to answer are posted below along with links to my nominees' blogs. 

Ok, so I decided to switch the order and post my nominees first and my questions next before answering Megan's questions that way I am not tempted to steal her questions which I am sure are totally great!

And the nominees are:
(Although I think you are all so FAB that you should participate, you are not required to. I apologize in advance if some of you super fancy bloggers have more than 200 followers - sometimes it is hard to tell exact follower numbers and sometimes I just think you're that awesome that I still wanted to nominate you anyway. )

Mummy VS. Daddy
Petite Ramblings
Then I Laughed
girlwifemom

Questions for my nominees:

1. How would you describe your style?
2. Is there anyone or anything that you have blind faith in?                             
3. What sound do you love? 
4. What movie, book, or song best tells your life story?
5. An anonymous benefactor bestows upon you an insanely large amount of money with two conditions: 1. You must pack up and move from your current location. 2. You must use the money and be awesome. Where do you go and how do you use the money awesome-ly?
6. Apples to Apples round: Which one of the following nouns would you pick for the adjective card?
     Adjective card: perfect
     Nouns:    a beach sunset      your first kiss      a glass of wine      your favorite book
7. Like Woody Allen's movie Midnight in Paris, I always imagined that I would have loved to live in Paris in the 1920's alongside Hemingway and Fitzgerald whose wife, Zelda would of course be my bestie. I would have a love/hate relationship with Gertrude Stein, be Picasso's muse and hobnob with other writers and artists of the time while drunkingly dancing to Cole Porter's music into the wee hours of the night. Then I would sink back into my cozy, chic Parisian apartment and write my great novel. Which era or time would you relive if you could?      
8. What one word best describes your blog?
9. What is your "go to" curse word?
10. What is the title of your autobiography?
11. Patrick Dempsey: totally geek or totally chic
 

Here are the questions I had to answer (which of course are awesome, eclectic, nose-pierced art teacher-esque amazing):

Here are 11 questions for my nominees...
1. If there was a movie made based on your life, who woud play you and why?
Some combination of someone quirky like Zooey Deschanel or Cameron Diaz (although she'd totally have to dye her hair for the role - Brunette 4-eva!) combined with someone like Michelle Rodriguez who is a total bad ass. Yessss.
2. What was the last thing you Googled?
Sara Bareilles' Brave video
3. What is one of your guilty pleasures?
Wine? no. The Kardashians? nope. Doughnuts? yum. This one was a hard one to answer and I think that's because I don't really like guilt so I try to avoid it at all costs. When I think about guilty pleasures, I imagine myself hiding in a closet somewhere eating doughnuts and watching the Kardashians while I guzzled a bottle of delicious red wine - you know something you feel bad about doing so you hide it from people. But I have found I am not much good at hiding things and that I find complete pleasure in my pleasures, so I might say I have no pleasure that I feel guilty about enjoying. Hence, drink the whole bottle.
4. What is something you know now that you wish you knew "then?"
That being an adult is more than being able to drive a car and buy your own liquor. That love comes when it's ready and not a moment sooner. That singing at Carnegie Hall would have been way more memorable than Memorial Day Weekend senior year. And that my mom was right about most of it. 
5. What do you consider to be one of your greatest accomplishments?
Getting through airport security with two dogs, two babies, and no bruises. Haha. No. Although that should receive some type of reward. Besides my four kids (including the two that were rescued) and taking time out of my day to make sure I write, I would consider one of my greatest accomplishments to be the King Team. My first year of teaching, they paired me with another strong, amazing, inspiring teacher and gave us the broken, the beaten, the battered. They were the tough kids that no one else knew how to handle. We loved them with an iron fist and never gave up on them and by the end of the year, they were the class to be. They were chosen to represent our school on invitational field trips to New York City and won the end of the year Spirit Week competition. They were so proud of themselves, a feeling I am not sure some of them had ever known. Often you hear students remember teachers fondly, teachers that made a difference. For me, the King Team was my teacher. They taught me that any student can turn it around, that every student needs someone to believe in them and that will fight for them and not give up on them. I am glad I learned that my first year of teaching with my first class. They were one of my greatest accomplishments. 
6. What is one thing not many people know about you?
That I have a cusp birthday (Capricorn/Aquarius) and that I'm terribly afraid of failing. At anything. 
7. If you could wave a magic wand and change one thing about your life, would you? What would it be? 
I had this whole great answer about how cliché it sounds to not want to change anything because the life that I am living at this moment is exactly the life I imagined and then I remembered that when I was a senior in high school, I decided to skip singing at Carnegie Hall to go down the shore Memorial Day Weekend. Yep. Magic wand that. Magic wand that for sure! 
8. What is your favorite Disney movie?
And the world will know that technically my favorite Disney movie is Newsies. But The Little Mermaid is my favorite cartoon Disney movie. 
9. What is something you've never done, but woud like to try?
I have a whole list of things that I've never done but would like to try. But the one that seems to pop up at this moment is to ride on a firetruck.. don't ask.
10. Where is your favorite pace to be? 
My favorite pace is slow and steady but I have a feeling I was being asked my favorite place, so... my favorite place to be is New York City during Christmas.
11. What is your favorite blog post you've written?
Oh maaaan. Blog posts are like babies aren't they? Something created in a place where once there was nothing. I love them all equally but I guess there is always one you like more, right <-- just kidding, kids! Umm.. my favorite blog post might be this one or this one  or this one. I told you I couldn't choose one.



2 comments:

  1. Oh Jen, I heart you. Your questions are killer, I might just answer them for fun! Did I know that we shared a love for Newsies?? I totally sang "and the world will know," as I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen! Thank you so very much for the nomination. I accept. So glad you discovered my blog and I can't wait to read more of yours. =)

    ReplyDelete

Pull up a seat and leave your comments on the bar.